Wednesday, April 19, 2017

I said 'Lay Down, Sally!'

Yeah, I know.  I've been MIA for a while.  I launched an online business late December and I am really tickled how it took off.  BUT that hasn't stopped me from listening to some good tunes.  I have satellite radio (thank heaven!) and this song came up a couple days ago.  Of course, I HAD to sing along.  I mean, who wouldn't?)

This song was recorded by Eric 'Slowhand' Clapton. He is the only three-time inductee to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: once as a solo artist and separately as a member of the Yardbirds and Cream. Clapton has been referred to as one of the most important and influential guitarists of all time. Clapton ranked second in Rolling Stone magazine's list of the "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time and fourth in Gibson's "Top 50 Guitarists of All Time". He was also named number five in Time magazine's list of "The 10 Best Electric Guitar Players" in 2009.

Clapton has been the recipient of 18 Grammy Awards, and the Brit Award for Outstanding Contribution to Music. In 2004 he was awarded a CBE at Buckingham Palace for services to music. In 1998, Clapton, a recovering alcoholic and drug addict, founded the Crossroads Centre on Antigua, a medical facility for recovering substance abusers.

Not too shabby, huh?

Now, 'Lay Down Sally' was written by Clapton with George Terry and Marcella Detroit in 1977 and is a cross-over song, meaning country blues.  You are NEVER going to guess who sang backup on this song.  It was Yvonne Elliman!   Yvonne Elliman who recorded in 1970 'I Don't Know How to Love Him' from Jesus Christ Superstar AND in 1977, 'If I Can't Have You' of Saturday Night Fever fame.  THAT Yvonne Elliman.  Who knew??

It appeared on his November 1977 album Slowhand, and reached No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

Now, let's listen to some classic Clapton with  'Lay Down Sally'.  I know you all know what to do now ...time to sing!





I'll keep listenin' to some really great tunes, and I hope you will, too.  If you want to hear something special, just post it on my Facebook page 'All You Need Is Love'.  If you like what you hear and see, please 'LIKE' my FB page. 


In the meantime, be kind to each other.

Peace and love.

Kimmie


No comments:

Post a Comment