Thursday, May 19, 2016

Let Your Smile Change the World, Not the World Change Your Smile

Hello, fellow lovers of great music.

Today I have chosen 'Sitting on the Dock of the Bay' by Otis Redding.

Who hasn't been to San Francisco and immediately thought of this song?

A little history of how this song came to be written:

Otis was one of those the kind of guy who had 100 ideas.  He had been in San Francisco and  was renting boathouse and that's where he got the idea of the ships coming in the bay there. And that's about all he had: "I watch the ships come in and I watch them roll away again." The rest of the song was about Otis' life: "I left my home in Georgia, headed for the Frisco Bay" was all about him going out to San Francisco to perform. The song features a whistled tune heard before the song's fade. It was originally performed by Redding who had this little fadeout rap he was gonna do, an ad-lib. He forgot what it was so he started whistling.

 Dock on the Bay was released in 1968 and topped the charts at No. 4 for 1968.

Enjoy, my friends.
                             
                     

No comments:

Post a Comment